Tuesday, 25 September 2012

Target Audience

When I looked into the genre that Katy B is associated with, I found the most commonly mentioned were UK garage, house and R&B. To get ideas about how to brand my artist and song for this project, I looked at other artists of the same genre that would have a similar target audience in order to see what it is that makes them sucessful and what techniques they use to appeal to this audience.

Someone that I always compare to Katy B due to their similar style is Disclosure, their style of music is very similar to hers in the way that it is also garage house music and I think fans of them would also like Katy B.

I like their album cover for their version of coconuts and think I can take inspiration from this as I would also like to use bright colours and doodle-like shapes on my digipak. The face outline is actually Disclosures logo. This logo can be seen on all of their merchandise and I think it's very effective as a branding technique as it is very recognisable.







What I like about this album cover is that it is so simple; one colour, artist, title, and their logo. I think that simple is very fashionable at the moment and modern. I also consider it being very arty as it does not stick to the usual albums on the market, most including a photo and bold fonts and colours. I'd like mine to be arty too as I think that most artists of this genre are considered unique too but I know that bright colours are alot more girly and I'd like my artist to have a girly style.



Another artist that I think would have a similar target audience to Katy B is The Streets, a UK garage group. The Streets is made up of londoners whose brading is largely based around that fact. They include lots of images of London and build up areas like it and have even named their band after the areas that they and their style of music are associated with; "the streets".

This album cover (right) includes two bright colours but the rest is simple. The band also have a logo that represents their style of music as is a very urban object that is often seen on the streets.

No comments:

Post a Comment