Monday, 7 January 2013

Initial Digipak Ideas


After seeing this album cover I decided this was the effect I wanted for my own digipak. It makes the artists name so bold and easy to read whilst at the same time also including her face. I think it looks so modern and matches her style of music which is punk, having a font that makes an impact and looks professional. The colour against the black and white photo makes the colour bold and therefore the album title "Pink" Friday stand out more.
 
I would similarly like to have the text overlapping a photo of my artist that is translucent so that you can see the image underneath. I am not going to have my photo in black and white as the key point of my branding is the many colours included and I would also like to have the text in various colours to add to this.
 
 

EXPERIMENTING

These are a few ideas I came up with just after looking at Nicki Minaj's Pink Friday album;
I was experimenting with the ways I could include a heart in the word. Origionally, as you can see in the top left corner, I wanted to use the heart instead of a B as I think that when it's tilted to the side it resembles the letter but when I asked my classmate what they saw, they didn't argee. Although my favourite of the 4 at the moment is the one in the bottom right corner, I don't think this one is the best idea as the line cuts through her face, making her fall even further into the background. But all in all, I love this general layout and the way the colours work together to acheive the exact look I was aiming for.




After reviewing these 4 ideas, I decided I wanted all the letters to be different colours instead of just pink. One reason for this was that I couldn't match the colour of the heart and the letters which, although looks good in number 2 because otherwise the heart would blend in, I don't like the effect it gives in the others, especially number 1 where the heart is supposed to be considered a letter too and therefore should be exactly the same colour. So I tried all of these 4 layouts again but instead used 3 or 4 colours and I think these were alot more successful and suitable because I wanted to include more colours in the first place, this way the image looks more vibrant and girly like most of the other digipaks by pop artists which are attractive to young girls who like them. I will be improving upon one of these ideas for my final idea.. which one it will be? I haven't decided yet..

 

1 comment:

  1. Clearly illustrating the creative decision making process in detail with relevant visual material to illustrate. Can you be more analytical - for example about the use of the 'candy' / neon colours - pink, blue, yellow - what to these symbolise, what are the connotations for your artist and her audience?

    ReplyDelete